Re: F9: Manually editing passwd/group files causes rebooting to freeze up after udev....

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Dan Thurman wrote:

I was manually changing the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
file since my users were incorrectly assigned UID/GIDs,
I manually corrected the UID/GID in /home for each user,
rebooted and noticed that I would get a hang just after
udev.

Aren't we meant to use vipw and vigr to edit these files?
On editing from vigr one is asked to run "vigr -s"
to edit the shadow file.

Interesting!  I had NO IDEA if this is the case, being a user of
older Unix systems.  Thanks for the tip, I'll know better now!

Dan