54 GB in /var/log!!

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Oct 27 15:33:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 15:06 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:39:01 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > init 3
> > log in as root
> > system-config-display --reconfig
> > init 5
> >
> > should do the trick though
>
> 	The problem is that wide monitors had not yet come on the market
> when my newest machine was built. I have an hp w2207h, which is
> 1680x1050; I can run it usable by setting the hardware to lcd that size,
> and then the display to 1280x1024; that lets the monitor stretch it
> sidewise. But both system-config-display and system-config-display --
> reconfig merely stymie things; I get the out of range message and have to
> hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, or else the monitor goes black and stays black.
----
you really need to get your video card configured properly to use a
1680x1050 wide panel display. I'm not certain that the xorg supplied
nv/radeon drivers can do that and it may take the binary blob drivers
from nVidia or ATI
----
> 	I haven't tried init commands lately; but grub may be set to init
> 3; I've done that before, in order at least to get a prompt.
>
> 	I also took a quick look from the CLI at that messages file, and
> couldn't spot anything. I'll go do startx as root and try to get a
> display that lets me skim enough of them to spot a pattern.
----
viewing big log files in GUI is slower than molassess in the middle of
January.

Starting at the bottom of the logs, errors are being continuously being
repeated making the logs grow like crazy.

Craig