Re: F9: Manually editing passwd/group files causes rebooting to freeze up after udev....

Dan Thurman wrote:

I was manually changing the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
file since my users were incorrectly assigned UID/GIDs,
I manually corrected the UID/GID in /home for each user,
rebooted and noticed that I would get a hang just after
udev.

Did you forget gshadow?  A common mistake for us old farts.

I always try to use usermod for that kind of stuff. Yes, I still use vipw regularly, but I don't dare modify group info that way any more.

gshadow has bitten me more than once, hence the motivation to use usermod more often.

Good Luck!