FONTS

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Oct 27 21:24:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:17:55 -0400
Claude Jones <cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com> wrote:

> I'd be willing to bet you don't have your machine's video
> resolution properly configured. Fonts are not blurry in Fedora,
> at least not on any of many, many machines that I've built.

That depends on the monitor. With my resolution correctly set
to 1920x1080 on my 42" HD monitor, the DPI computed (correctly)
by the X server is 52 DPI. When it tries to render fonts at
52 DPI, they look awful because it only has a few pixels to
try and render a 10 point font (for example). Overriding the
DPI and forcing it to 96 makes everything much more visible.