Re: Fedora 9/10 and NVIDIA ?

On Oct 27, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

kevin kempter writes:

Hi All;
I'm considering the purchase of a Dell 64bit laptop with an NVIDIA video card. - Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition X9100 3.06GHz, 1067MHZ, 6M L2 Cache Dual Core (224-3154)
- 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M Mobile Precision M6400 Covet (320-7518)
Anyone have any thoughts per Fedora 9/10 compatibility, potential issues, gotcha's, etc ?

Because I'm a database consultant and I need a power-house machine. The one I'm looking at has 2 internal drives in a RAID config, and I can max out the memory at 16Gig

The Dell box I'm looking at however is certified to work with Red Hat (RHEL 5).

Rather than committing yourself to endlessly screwing around with Nvidia's non-free binary blobs, and all the headaches they bring, why don't you just get one of Dell's Linux-friendly laptops that come with Intel video cards that are supported by x.org right out of the box?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?s=bsd