Re: Fedora 9/10 and NVIDIA ?

On Oct 27, 2008, at 4:50 PM, kevin kempter wrote:

On Oct 27, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

kevin kempter writes:

Hi All;
I'm considering the purchase of a Dell 64bit laptop with an NVIDIA video card. - Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition X9100 3.06GHz, 1067MHZ, 6M L2 Cache Dual Core (224-3154)
- 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M Mobile Precision M6400 Covet (320-7518)
Anyone have any thoughts per Fedora 9/10 compatibility, potential issues, gotcha's, etc ?

Rather than committing yourself to endlessly screwing around with Nvidia's non-free binary blobs, and all the headaches they bring, why don't you just get one of Dell's Linux-friendly laptops that come with Intel video cards that are supported by x.org right out of the box?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?s=bsd

<Moved-Response>

Because I'm a database consultant and I need a power-house machine. The one I'm looking at has 2 internal drives in a RAID config, and I can max out the memory at 16Gig

The Dell box I'm looking at however is certified to work with Red Hat (RHEL 5).

</Moved-Response>

NOTE: I placed my last response in the wrong place - re-sending to avoid any confusion

Thanks again everyone for your advice/help