Fedora 9/10 and NVIDIA ?

kevin kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Mon Oct 27 23:53:36 UTC 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 4:50 PM, kevin kempter wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> kevin kempter writes:
>>
>>> Hi All;
>>> I'm considering the purchase of a Dell 64bit laptop with an NVIDIA
>>> video card.
>>> - Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition X9100 3.06GHz, 1067MHZ, 6M L2
>>> Cache Dual Core (224-3154)
>>> - 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M Mobile Precision M6400 Covet (320-7518)
>>> Anyone have any thoughts per Fedora 9/10 compatibility, potential
>>> issues, gotcha's, etc ?
>>>

>> Rather than committing yourself to endlessly screwing around with
>> Nvidia's non-free binary blobs, and all the headaches they bring,
>> why don't you just get one of Dell's Linux-friendly laptops that
>> come with Intel video cards that are supported by x.org right out
>> of the box?
>>
>> http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?s=bsd

<Moved-Response>

Because I'm a database consultant and I need a power-house machine.
The one I'm looking at has 2 internal drives in a RAID config, and I
can max out the memory at 16Gig

The Dell box I'm looking at however is certified to work with Red Hat
(RHEL 5).

</Moved-Response>

NOTE: I placed my last response in the wrong place - re-sending to
avoid any confusion

Thanks again everyone for your advice/help