FEDORA net etiquette

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Oct 28 14:39:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 10:08 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 09:56:14PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > Joachim Backes wrote:
> > > Until tomorrow, I always sent signed emails to the FEDORA mailing list,
> > > where the signature was issued by the PKI of my computer center
> > > (german university). But some fedora list people told me that even
> > > very small emails always have a size of at least 8 kilobyte.
> > >
> > > Therefore i switched to unsigned emails.
> > >
> > > My question: are there rules for the fedora email traffic saying: do
> > > not use signatures?
> > No...there isn't.
> >
> > But, people get bent out of shape because they view html emails as
> > bandwidth wasters.  So, by the same token they will (should) view signed
> > emails as bandwidth wasters and will equally get bent out of shape.
> >

> I've read (probably in connection with TIN news postings) that sigs
> should have no more than 3 lines after the ---.

	1) That's old USENET Netiquette from days begone.

	2) That's for the text signature (mine is 4 lines).

	3) The 3 line limit is largely ignored now with high speed nets.

	3) Does not relate to a crypto signature like PGP or S/MIME.

	This message has both my text signature at the bottom and a PGP
signature.

	Signing all messages has value.  It establishes a "preponderance of
evidence" for the use of certain keys and signatures and establishes
good practices.

	As a secondary issue, if we only signed / encrypted important messages,
that's a red letter warning to those doing "traffic analysis" that this
was as message to be given "special attention and processing".  Signing
everything removes that significance for signed messages.  It would be
even better if we could encrypt everything as well, making even
encrypted messages nothing out of the ordinary and increase the amount
of effort required to filter significant messages out from insignificant
messages.