54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Oct 28 16:36:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:58:28 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
	[...]
>>> I have a suggestion....Attach the printer to just one machine, and
>>> then set it up to share and then connect each machine to it via the
>>> network. That might help a whole lot and cut down on the messages.  I
>>> hardly ever see those things if at all.
>>
>> 	<sigh> "Set it up to share"?? Has that gotten any easier in
>> recent years -- since the last time I gave up trying??
>>
> Yes, it has. With a Linux machine host, you just set it up in CUPS. On
> the rest of the Linux machines, you can have CUPS search the network and
> it will find the printer. For XP, you will want to install an IPP
> interface printer. If you really want to, and you have Samba running on
> the host machine, you can share that way too, but it is more work.

	Man, it must have! The last time (about FC3 iirc), a friendly
soul spent days trying to walk me through it, and finally had to quit
before we ever got it to work. After that, I also tried buying a hardware
printserver -- and never managed to get that to work, either...

	Poking around, I can't tell# CUPS whether what I got into was
CUPS or not. $ cups, $ CUPS, # cups, and # CUPS all get "command not
found." (rpm -q does tell me I have cups-1.3.9-1.fc9.i386)

	So I started looking in the Main Menu. The likeliest launcher,
afaict, points to /usr/bin/system-config-printer; is that it? I hit the
usual glass wall with that -- asking me things in jargon, as if being
English words made their technical sense plain.

	I remember there was a way to make at least some browsers handle
the configuration -- but not how to launch it; maybe that has gotten
easier, too.

	Do you have a favorite tutorial on the web somewhere? I know
there are some -- which looked a bit daunting last time I saw them...