54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Oct 28 17:25:00 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:58:28 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> 	[...]
>>> 	<sigh> "Set it up to share"?? Has that gotten any easier in
>>> recent years -- since the last time I gave up trying??
>>>
>> Yes, it has. With a Linux machine host, you just set it up in CUPS. On
>> the rest of the Linux machines, you can have CUPS search the network and
>> it will find the printer. For XP, you will want to install an IPP
>> interface printer. If you really want to, and you have Samba running on
>> the host machine, you can share that way too, but it is more work.
>
> 	Man, it must have! The last time (about FC3 iirc), a friendly
> soul spent days trying to walk me through it, and finally had to quit
> before we ever got it to work. After that, I also tried buying a hardware
> printserver -- and never managed to get that to work, either...
>
> 	Poking around, I can't tell# CUPS whether what I got into was
> CUPS or not. $ cups, $ CUPS, # cups, and # CUPS all get "command not
> found." (rpm -q does tell me I have cups-1.3.9-1.fc9.i386)
>
> 	So I started looking in the Main Menu. The likeliest launcher,
> afaict, points to /usr/bin/system-config-printer; is that it? I hit the
> usual glass wall with that -- asking me things in jargon, as if being
> English words made their technical sense plain.

Yes, that's it.

> 	I remember there was a way to make at least some browsers handle
> the configuration -- but not how to launch it; maybe that has gotten
> easier, too.

You can still do that by pointing a browser at http://localhost:631.
That's the administrative interface to CUPS directly, but you really
don't need to use it unless you're doing something VERY odd.

system-config-printer (or in Gnome "System->Administration->Printing")
it plenty enough.

> 	Do you have a favorite tutorial on the web somewhere? I know
> there are some -- which looked a bit daunting last time I saw them...

To set up a local printer, click on the "Add Printer" button and enter
the data that's asked for.  Once it's added, select it in the left pane
and on the "Settings" tab, click the "Make Default Printer" button and
this new printer becomes the default.

To share local printers, select "Server Settings" in the left pane and
check the "Share published printers connected to this system" box.  If
you want, you can also check "Allow printing from the Internet" box,
too.

On the client machines, select "Server Settings" and check the "Show
printers shared by other systems" box.  After a few minutes, you should
see the printers offered by the other machines show up under "Remote
Printers" in the left pane.  When you ask some application to print, you
should be able to choose one of the printers that appear in that left
pane.

Can't get a whole lot easier than that.
-  A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Ranier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -