CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Oct 29 19:12:54 UTC 2008

	I've been advised, more or less btw in an otherwise scarcely
related thread, to quit using my KVM switch (which has spare USB ports
touted by the maker especially for printserving) as a printserver.

	So I plugged the printer (an HP psc 1315v) into my #1 machine;
and I've been telling Firefox 127.0.0.1:631 on each of the machines, and
trying to get it to work.

	I thought I had it; and when I print at all, it's most often from
Alpine 2.0. So I've been trying to print one Alpine message from each
machine.

	One at least told me the printer seemed not to be connected. The
others have adamantly done nothing.

	Since all I know of printing would go in a gnat's eye, and Alpine
has several printing options (none of which I understand well), my first
thought is to try to find out if I have a pure Alpine problem, a pure
CUPS problem, or something else. Can anybody tell??