Installing a RPM

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 01:05:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:46:58PM -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > This rpm openoffice.org-pdfimport-3.0.0-9.6.fc10.i386.rpm isn't in a yum
> > repo. It was downloaded from a different site, and it isn't available in FC8
> > repos.
> > I don't quit understand what you mean by rpm localinstall ?
>
> Should have said 'yum localinstall'. That makes yum install a local
> rpm but it uses the repositories to satisfy dependencies if it can.

Not that I'm recommending this, but it looks like the OP is trying to
install new OpenOffice.org from the Rawhide (pre-F10) repository on a
non-Rawhide or F10 test box.

You can probably accomplish this like so:

$ su -c 'yum --enablerepo=rawhide localinstall
     openoffice.org-pdfimport-3.0.0-9.6.fc10.i386.rpm'

I'm pretty sure that will drag in a *ton* of other packages, and it
might have some other deleterious side effects.

If you want OpenOffice.org 3.0, why not either download the latest F10
snapshot or wait for the Preview Release on Tuesday?  That way if you
have a problem you could report them in Bugzilla.  If you end up with
a half-F9, half-F10 box it might be hard for others to duplicate your
bug's behavior or help fix it.

--
Paul W. Frields  ("always hoping for more testers")