Re: httpd access problems

Tim:
>> Don't forget world executable permissions on directories.

Gene Heskett:
> Ahh, so it should have been 0655, fixed I hope.

Don't do that to files, you don't want to make all your webservable
files executable, unless they need it (e.g. CGI scripts, or SHTML pages
where you're using the X bit hack to tell the server to parse them for
SSI, rather than using the filename suffix).

That's where doing something like "chmod o+X" (that's a deliberate
capital X), rather than "chmod 644" was useful.  It'd set executable
bits where it was needed (to directories), and not where it was not (not
on files, unless they were already executable).

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.