54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 30 14:24:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 16:52 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Well, it is just a checkbox on the firewall configuration GUI, as
> this is a common port you need open on a local network.
> >> On all the machines that do NOT have the printer attached, make
> sure the
> >> "Show printers shared by other systems" box is checked.
> >
> >       Are you saying it should *not* be checked on the one *with*
> the
> > printer??
> >
> It can be, but unless you have other network printers, or printers
> attached to other computers that you are sharing, you are better off
> not having it checked. I tend to be paranoid, and there may be a way
> to get CUPS into an add printer loop. (Machine 1 shares the printer,
> machine 2 shares machine 1's printer, and advertises it as a printer
> available for use on machine 2. machine shares both machine 1's and
> machines 2's advertised printers, and also advertises them as its
> available loca ers, etc...) You should not be able to do it, but
> someone may manage to do it anyway.

In my experience if you don't do something special on a machine with a
local printer as well as sharing remote printers. That something special
must be done in cupsd file on the machine. Otherwise it will ignore the
local printer and only print to the remote printer.
Who made the world I cannot tell; 'Tis made, and here am I in hell. My
hand, though now my knuckles bleed, I never soiled with such a deed. --
A.E. Housman
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net