F10 on eeepc 901

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Oct 30 16:24:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 08:15:49PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >Hi all!
> >
> >I've been playing with the latest F10 beta (live CD) on my eeepc 901.
> >
> >Most things seem to be working well: it finds the correct screen resolution
> >(which is 1024x600, definitely not one of the common settings before the
> >mini laptop craze began, and many live CDs don't set it right);
>
> We automatically selec the right background resolution specifically
> created for netbooks.
>
>  it finds
> >the wired network without trouble and automatically starts it once the
> >cable is plugged in (I assume Network Manger is doing that for me).
>
> Correct.
>
> >Wireless isn't working because, I assume, it doesn't have a ralink
> >rt2860sta driver. I know I could compile my own, and there have been
> >reports of people using ndiswrapper. But it'd be nice if the Fedora gang
> >could squeeze it into an upcoming release.
>
> It won't go into Fedora directly but rpmfusion does include both
> ndiswrapper as well as the ralink kernel module in the "free" repository.
>
> >Haven't yet played with audio, webcam, microphone, so don't know their
> >status.
>
> Would you mind checking these and letting us know?

Well.

Using the SOUND tool on the admin menu all the test buttons for testing
sound output output a low-volume tone, so I guess that much works.

The record test button there appears to be recording, but clicking the
stop button hangs up the client and I have to kill it. Same thing happened
with the recorder app on the applications menu. So, I probably can't tell
if it even finds the microphone.

Using the media player and clicking its RADIO option gets me a list of
radio stations, SOME of which I can play (presumably the others are failing
for lack of a suitable codec). But the volume is very low even with the
volume slider (from the top panel) all the way to the high end. Strangely,
when I plug in my headphones while one of those is playing, I get NO
sound through the phones. I know that works, in general, because I have
used headphones a number of times on this machine. Makes me wonder if
the headphones and speakers are not connected together to the same circuit
as they are in most radios. if they were I don't see how one could work
while the other doesn't.

And the webcam app reports it can't find any webcams. Webcam is in the
category of "nice to have" but not critical, for me. but it WOULD be nice...