Re: Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin scrye com> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:45:18 -0700
makhlina gmail com (Alex Makhlin) wrote:

Hi all,

Which one do you think is better and for what reasons. Ubuntu or
Fedora 9. Personally I like Fedora 9.
I'll tell you the same thing here that I tell folks in the #fedora IRC
channel:

Both distros have live media. Why don't you download them and try out
each and decide for yourself which one you like?

kevin

Good advice.

I was installing Linux for a friend, and figured I'd give them Ubuntu
as I it would hopefully be easier for them than Fedora. Tried the
LiveCD, kept freezing up (requiring hard restarts). Did an install
figuring I just needed to update to a new kernel, pre and post full
system update, still kept hard freezing. So I went back to old
faithful Fedora.

Yeah, well, I discovered for me, the freezup is caused by screensaver. When you boot up, go directly to screensaver and disable it completely. After that - it stayed up all night and into the next day and to the evening. One thing I like about the Ubuntu LiveCD is that they included partition manager - something that is lacking in Fedora's F9 LiveCD but then again, Ubuntu lacks mkinitrd which is available in F9. So, I guess it is the small difference. Also, as for F9, they have newer applications for which Ubuntu is "behind" for example parition manager they have does not support labeling and Nautilus is older - but then again Ubuntu has a longer shelf-life and of course you have to wait for newer updates if and when they become available or build it yourself.

I guess from my standpoint Ubuntu is very good with support, they are somewhat more stable and not a fast-moving target which could upset people who don't want instability too quick and too soon (like my kids or Mom and Pop who are computer illiterate)

Both Ubuntu and Fedora are fabulous, but I am still a die-hard Fedorian ;)

Dan