[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Ubuntu Ibex offers choice of KDE4.1.2 or KDE3.5.10... [note: NOT TRUE] and kernel-2.6.27.



Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Subject says it all.   Fedora developers tell us that they can't give us
> a choice of KDE version and yet Ubuntu is doing it.

That's not true:
All packages in Intrepid containing "kdebase":
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=kdebase&searchon=names&suite=intrepid&section=all
-> only 4.1.2 stuff, no KDE 3 stuff!

All packages in Intrepid containing "kde3":
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=kde3&searchon=names&suite=intrepid&section=all
-> only some bindings, no apps.

So where's the KDE 3 you're talking about? Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex DOES NOT 
INCLUDE KDE 3! See also the link posted by Sebastian Vahl:
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/KDE3-KDE4Migration
which is very clear on this.

> Ironically, Fedora says their distribution is more cutting edge and yet
> Ibex gets kernel 2.6.27 and we are still stuck with 2.6.26.

Because they just released it! Fedora 10 will also have 2.6.27 at release time.

A 2.6.27 update for Fedora 9 has been built in Koji, I'm sure it will hit 
updates-testing soon.

It's a different thing to release a new distro with a new kernel, where the 
betas have been tracking the betas of the kernel all this time, than to update 
an existing distro to the new kernel version. Fedora is actually one of the few 
distributions even doing the latter. You're just being impatient (while at the 
same time complaining that KDE is too new), 2.6.27 WILL be pushed to F9.

> I think the KDE-3.5.10 decision demonstrates that Ubuntu developers are
> more sensitive to user end needs.

The "KDE-3.5.10 decision" you're talking about is completely imaginary, they 
actually made the exact same decision we did (not to ship KDE 3 anymore)! So 
their ACTUAL decision on KDE 3.5.10 actually proves the exact opposite of your 
point (i.e. that we did the right thing).

> I know a bunch of people are going to chime in and say "Fedora isn't for
> you" and "Its a bleeding edge distribution", etc.  I think those are
> just excuses for a developer community that wants to do it own thing
> irregardless of what users actually want. 

They are just hard facts. That said, even Kubuntu which primarily targets new 
users now decided NOT to ship KDE 3.

> Don't shoot me, I'm just the squeaky wheel/messenger. 

To stay with your analogy, you're the liar messenger who is relaying a false 
message, so of course you will be proverbially "executed" (in the sense 
of "shooting the messenger") for it. ;-) The "don't shoot the messenger" saying 
only makes sense when you're really just relaying a truthful message, it 
doesn't excuse spreading FUD. Next time please check the facts before pulling 
up an argumentation entirely based on incorrect information, otherwise you're 
just wasting everyone's time.

        Kevin Kofler


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]