getting a minimum of KDE

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:29:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:23:14PM +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> 	I run Gnome; KDE has always grated on me for some reason --
> but I do use Konqueror and K3B often. Do I have to install KDE in
> toto under F9 to get those two? Or is there a way to tell yum to get
> them and only what they have to have?

These programs require underlying libraries to run properly.  Those
libraries are stored in separate packages which must also be
installed.  The link between those two is "known" by the RPM
database. That linkage, a dependency, must be solved by yum to install
the programs you want and have them actually work.

So the best way to do this is:

$ su -c 'yum install kdebase k3b'

Anything that comes down the pipe, at that point, is required in fact
to let you run konqueror and k3b.