CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 31 20:50:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 17:20 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:50:59 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> 	[...]
> >> 	The current situation is that printing works on #1, where the
> >> printer is -- and not from the others.
> >>
> >> -
> > Ok, here is the deal. Configure all the printers on the server. On the
> > clients do no configuration at all ,none. And you will be able to print
> > to all the printers. Any configuration you do on the clients will
> > undoubtedly screw things up. One exception. In the /etc/cups/client.conf
> > file you can fill in the ServerName line with the address of the server.
> > Leave the admin boxes alone.
>
> 	This confuses me. It reads as if the problem were using several
> printers from one machine.
>
> 	Not so. I have only one printer, but I need to be able to use it
> from at least four machines -- the PCs at my desk. (If I can eventually
> also use it from the wireless laptops a/o from my wife's PC downstairs
> (all of them on the LAN, at least when at home and booted), so much the
> better.)
>
> 	Are we at cross-purposes? Or am I just imagining so?
The machine with the printer is the server and the printer should be
configured on that machine. Printing will be possible from all the
printers on the LAN without any further configuration. The machines will
all have to be on the same LAN for this to work. If they are on
different LANS the SERVERNAME must be filled in in clients.conf.

I print from my wireless laptop to a printer on the server and a printer
on my wife's XP. But all configuration of printers are on my server
machine.
Are you sure the back door is locked?
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net