Linksys WRT54G2

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 09:39:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 1:40 AM, Andrew Robinson <awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com>wrote:

> Rich Emberson wrote:
>
>> I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a Linksys
>> WRT54G2
>> Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according to
>> the
>> terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no Linux).
>>
>> I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing LAN. I
>> already have a router and DSL internet connection.
>>
>>  The wireless router is self-contained. You do not need any software to
> work with it. The software on the CD gives Windows (and maybe Macs)
> utilities to measure wireless signal strength and stuff like that.
>
> The router is configured by its internal web server. Others have noted that
> you access that at 192.168.1.1, no userid, and a password of "admin". That
> is if the subnet and password weren't changed by the previous owner. Others
> suggested ways around this. I do recommend using a wired connection to the
> router to configure it.
>
> The one issue I think you will run into is that with the Linksys software,
> the WRT54G2 will want to act as a router. It will perform its own NAT. You
> can cable it to the existing router, but then any wireless connections will
> be on a different network segment than your wired boxes. The two solutions I
> see are 1. replace the existing router with the WRT54G2, or 2. install
> alternate firmware that gives more functionality, like simply providing a
> wireless access point on an existing network segment.

I think it is possible to disable its router functionality and make it use
an IP
supplied by another router on the network. I have a Linksys WRT54G, and
it is working fine for me, as just an access point.

Please, consult the link below:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=358&p_created=1084209764&p_sid=Bu9Mbw*h&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDMxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9zY2ZfbGFuZz0xJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y29ubmVjdCB0d28gcm91dGVycyB0b2dldGhlcg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ