Sound Configurations

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Sep 1 17:02:36 UTC 2008

Mike Wright wrote:

> If you right click on the "Speaker" icon and select "Open Volume
> Control" you will be able to "Edit->Preferences".  From there it is
> possible to add and remove different input and output controls.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no way from there to distinguish which are
> inputs and which are outputs and things don't always make sense (to me).
>  For example, there is a "CD" input but it doesn't control my CD.  My
> CD's volume is controlled by the "PCM" output.

That is because there are different ways to get sound from a CD. You
can use the audio output from the CD-ROM drive - that shows up on
the CD input. You can also grab the digital data from the CD-ROM
drive over the data cable, and convert it to analog using software
on the computer - this will show up on PCM just as playing a music
file from a hard drive will. Some CD-ROM drives also have a digital
out connection on the drive, and some sound cards have an input for
this. I don't know what that input is labeled.

Mikkel