Fedora 9 Freeze At Login

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Sep 2 09:56:27 UTC 2008

Kyle Lanigan wrote:

>> Earlier you might have been able to enter text mode by Ctrl-Alt-F1,
>> or alternatively by using something like Knoppix to edit /etc/inittab
>> and change id:5 to id:3 .

> The Live CD works amazingly fine on my computer.
> If possible, could you give an in-depth instruction on what to do with
> the ID:5 change to ID:3?

Firstly, I'm no Fedora guru, and the other Tim is much more likely than me
to have the correct diagnosis.

It is just that if the system freezes in this sort of way,
my first step would be to eliminate problems with X by running in text-mode.

One way to do this is to edit /etc/inittab, and change the line
id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:

This line in inittab determines which mode linux boots into.

The trouble is, if the system is not working it is not clear
how you can edit this file.
My suggestion was to use Knoppix.
(But the Fedora Live CD can probably be used in the same way.)
Knoppix allows you to mount your Fedora partitions
while Linux is running on the CD.
This lets you edit files in your Fedora setup.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net