Fedora 9 Freeze At Login

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:55:13 UTC 2008

On 9/2/08, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> >> Earlier you might have been able to enter text mode by Ctrl-Alt-F1,
> >> or alternatively by using something like Knoppix to edit /etc/inittab
> >> and change id:5 to id:3 .
>
> > The Live CD works amazingly fine on my computer.
> > If possible, could you give an in-depth instruction on what to do with
> > the ID:5 change to ID:3?
>
> Firstly, I'm no Fedora guru, and the other Tim is much more likely than me
> to have the correct diagnosis.
>
> It is just that if the system freezes in this sort of way,
> my first step would be to eliminate problems with X by running in text-mode.
>
> One way to do this is to edit /etc/inittab, and change the line
> id:5:initdefault:
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> This line in inittab determines which mode linux boots into.

I had to do exactly that cause after install, when I tried to log in,
my system froze. In my case there is something wrong trying to boot
into X mode directly. If I boot in runlevel 3 and then startx, I have
no problems.
However, if I kill the X server (or normal logout) and then try to
start it up again with startx, the system hangs up again (can't kill X
server, the kernel doesn't seem to catch the ACPI events when I push
the switch off button...)

Kyle, do you see any unexpected image after typing your name and
password, some bizarre screen or is it just a clear frozen image of
your desktop?