Fedora home server using core 9

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:17:19 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
>>> I must say I was fairly unimpressed with the error I got
>>> when browsing to the suggested URL, <https://www.scientificlinux.org/>.
>>> I know there was some sort of explanation given for this,
>>> and probably a solution;
>>> but I am rather lazy, and if someone suggests a piece of software,
>>> and gives an URL for it,
>>> and when I go to that URL I get an error
>>> I am unlikely to pursue the matter unless it is vital to my health.
>> ----
>> that wasn't an error...that was Firefox presenting you with it's intent
>> to deny access to the web page you asked to see because it uses a
>> self-signed certificate instead of a certificate signed by a trusted
>> agent. At some point, it would behoove you to understand the difference.
>
> In fact, the cause of the error -
> I call it an error because it says PAGE LOAD ERROR at the top of the page -
> is irrelevant to me.

It shouldn't be irrelevant to you - it was your choice not to accept
their self-signed certificate that caused what you see as an error.

> If I were very interested in ScientificLinux I might have tried
> to diagnose the cause,
> but since I am not I simply categorized it
> with web-pages that I cannot read because they are pink with blue text.
> Doubtless I could change the colours if I were sufficiently interested.

Their colors are just fine, as is their choice to encrypt with a
self-signed certificate.  Your choice not to accept the page might also
be reasonable if you understood why you did it...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com