Local binding port for SSH client?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Sep 2 21:00:32 UTC 2008

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to specify a local port when one uses the ssh
> client program?  I'm sure the kernel is the one who decides some random port
> above 1024 at execution time...but I'm wondering if there's any way  to
> control this at user level?
>

> Thanks,
> Jorge
>
> p.d. all references to local ports on the man page are related to
> port-forwarding which is not the case in this case.

Are you looking for a way to control which outgoing port ssh uses?  Or
do you want to specify which incoming port to connect to on the remote
machine?  sshd has a -p option for the latter.  It shouldn't matter
which outgoing port you use, only which port to connect to on the remote
machine....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com