Dell OptiPlex 745 reboot problem

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Fri Sep 5 08:52:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just installed Fedora-9 on a lab of Dell OptiPlex 745 (SFF) machines. (
only in 1 lab TG )

After running firstboot when I went to reboot the machines they just hang and
I had to do a hard reboot. I thought this was a minor glitch and ignored it.

Now however when the machines boot into Fedora-9 the "reboot" and "suspend"
buttons do not work. The windowing system just shuts down and I get a text
prompt and the machines just hang there.

As thes are dual boot machines this will cause a lot of problems starting
monday when the students return ;-(

Is ther some magic incantation to grub to sort this problem or any body got
any ideas.

Thank's

Tony