Backup Server RAID Suggestions

Mike McMullen mikemcmullen at shmaz.com
Sat Sep 6 04:01:06 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I am trying to build a NAS server based on Fedora 9.

I will be using a de-branded HP Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core with 2GB RAM and
two 250GB drives mirrored for the OS stuff and a few apps.

I would like to add some type of raid storage box to it with about 5 1TB
drives using raid 5 unless there is something better.

I want to use the system for photography work flow and backing up a few
Windows systems.

My questions are as follows:

1. What is an inexpensive external RAID storage box to go with?
2. What is a good inexpensive RAID controller to go with?
3. S/W RAID vs HW RAID? Which is the most reliable way to go?
4. Are there ways to do full backups of windows boxes and restore a
complete bootable drive from the Linux box?
5. What is the largest file system Fedora 9 can support?
6. Are there performance hits for large file systems?

Thanks so much in advance!

Mike