Fetchmail + Sendmail for local users ??

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Sep 8 14:16:20 UTC 2008

Arun Shrimali wrote:

> I am having one linux client also, I have tried your command which says
> dovecot is working perfectly as follows :
> arun at ITQS - Arun:~$ telnet 172.16.251.234 143
> Trying 172.16.251.234...
> Connected to 172.16.251.234.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK Dovecot ready.
>
> I have tried  to connect Dovecot through Evolution on that client which
> gives following error :
>
> Unable to authenticate to IMAP server
> IMAP command failed. Authentication failed.

I should have said that I use SSL authentication on dovecot.
I didn't think this mattered, as No Authentication is one option
in kmail.

But my /etc/dovecot.conf (minus comments) reads:
---------------------------
protocols = imap imaps
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot
ssl_listen = *:993
ssl_disable = no
ssl_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mailbox_idle_check_interval = 30
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
protocol imap {
     listen = *:143
     ssl_listen = *:993
}
protocol pop3 {
}
protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = gayleard at eircom.net
}
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb pam {
  }
  userdb passwd {
  }
  user = root
}
dict {
}
plugin {
}

I'm actually using IMAP rather than IMAPS,
but will ssl authentication.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net