Spam: Open source alternative to Microsoft's System Management Server

Arch Willingham arch at tuparks.com
Mon Sep 8 18:47:57 UTC 2008

Thanks guys!

Arch
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Les Mikesell [lesmikesell at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 2:25 PM
To: Community assistance, encouragement,        and advice for using Fedora.
Subject: Re: Spam: Open source alternative to Microsoft's System Management Server

Arch Willingham wrote:
> Does anyone have an open source alternative to Microsoft's System
> Management Server (SMS)? SMS will do a ton of stuff but the main thing
> we need it for is keeping up with IT hardware assets (what computers we
> have, disk space on each, processors, memory, etc) and need it to keep
> up with Windows machines as well as Linux machines.

Look at http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/.  There are agents for both
Windows and Linux that report the hardware/software inventory, disk
space, etc. back to a central server on a scheduled basis and you can
also use it to deploy programs or run commands on the clients.

There's a Centos/RHEL packaged server (needs EPEL too) and I think
fedora also in this repository:
http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

--
   Les Mikesell