Dell OptiPlex 745 reboot problem -- BIOS update went poorly

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 08:40:10 UTC 2008

Reply below V  V

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Johnathan Hegge
<johnathan.hegge at bluecoat.com> wrote:

> [...]

Hi Johnathan Hegge!

Did you try doing a CTL+ALT+F1 (evokes a login terminal - as does
CTL+ALT+F2 to F6 - F7 to X and F8 to just before the start of X)?

>From there, or by using a rescue or Live CD booted to a terminal you
can check several places in /var/log - I would look at Xorg.0.log,
messages, dmesg, and possibly syslog.  Doing a word search on "EE" in
Xorg.0.log and "fail" or "error" etc... can often get you to the
problem quickly.

You may also try some boot options designed to help in other areas.

The problem you mention, espically with the small form factor machines
seems to have a history.  Amongst many I found this link:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/12/201