Ntpdate fails to start

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Tue Sep 9 10:36:27 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 11:04:46 Paul Smith wrote:

> >> Thanks, Tony. The results:
> >>
> >> # /sbin/service NetworkManager status
> >> NetworkManager (pid 2319) is running...
> >> #
> >
> > OK, as someone in a previous e-mail said if NetworkManager is running
> > then ntpdate will fail to start at boot as NetworkManager will not have
> > the network set up in time.
> >
> > ntpdate sets the  on your clock approx and then ntpd sets is accurately
> > and maintains it. However if ntpdate doesn't run and your clock is off by
> > more than a certain amount of time then ntpd will refuse to set it. I
> > can't remember what amount of time is involved.
> >
> > What was the result of
> >
> > # service network status
> >
> >> # ntpq -p
> >> bash: ntpq: command not found
> >> #
> >
> > Do this as root or give the full path /usr/sbin/ntpq -p and post the
> > results.
> >
> >> but
> >>
> >> # /sbin/service ntpd status
> >> ntpd (pid 2049) is running...
> >> #
> >
> > Ok it's running but not synhronising.
>
> Thanks again, Tony. The new results:
>
> # /sbin/service network status
> Configured devices:
> lo eth0
> Currently active devices:
> lo eth0 vmnet8 vmnet1
> #

OK you have both the NetworkManager service and the network service running.
You shouldn't have both running at the same time.

Do you have a static IP address, is this a laptop.

You can switch one or other service off with

# service NetworkManager stop
or
# service network stop

To make the change permanent and survive a reboot do

# chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager off
or
# chkconfig --level 345 newtork off

> # /usr/sbin/ntpq -p
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>+ns2.kamino.fr   193.52.184.106   3 u  224  256  377   69.973   -1.349
> 1.928 -ntp2.belbone.be 195.13.23.6      2 u  205  256  377   86.313  -10.732
0.900
> +www.dreamcommun 194.109.22.18    3 u  241  256  377
> 82.750   -0.505   1.884
> *syrte8.obspm.fr 145.238.203.14   2 u  137  256
> 377   69.231    0.676   1.421
>
> Paul

What's the problem, ntpd is working. You're currently syncing with
syrte8.obspm.fr the * before it in the above output tells you that.
ntpdate is not really necessary if ntpd works.

Tony