Ntpdate fails to start

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Tue Sep 9 14:57:43 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 15:07:56 Paul Smith wrote:

> >> No progress; again:
> >
> > Did you reboot the machine.
>
> Yes, Tony.
>
> Paul

Strange,

As root do the following
     ^^^

#   chkconfig --level 345 network off
#   chkconfig --list | grep network

post your result
make sure that network says off.

#  chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on
#  chkconfig --list | grep NetworkManager

post your result
make sure that NetworkManager says on

reboot the machine and watch the startup messages.

NetworkManager should start
ntpdate should fail
network should not start.

When the machine reboots