When the floodgates open ...

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Sep 9 22:10:51 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> If there is a simple explanation of why these are not combined into
>> a single package, I would like to hear it.
>
> Let's use Fedora 9 as an example.  I believe the current
> fedora-release package in updates is 9-2.  That contains the old key
> and yum repo files which point to the current URLs.  An updated
> fedora-release package will contain the new key and repo files with
> the new URLs (where all of the packages that have been re-signed with
> the new key are located).
>
> On the first yum update, this package will get installed (from the
> current updates URL, and signed with the old key).  It will require a
> second yum update to begin using the new repo files with the updated
> URLs to see the newly signed packages (which will also cause yum to
> import the new key¹).
>
> A further update of fedora-release from the new location is expected
> to remove the old key from the rpm database.

Thanks, that's dead clear, which my question was not :-(
I got the impression that the installation of the new key and the new
repo location were the two steps you had in mind (two updates) followed
by the actual installation of the latest updates.

>> If it's complex or secret  that's fine, I don't see the obvious
>> problem combining them, but I don't  claim great RPM expertise.
>
> No secret at all.  The plan is outlined at:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/rel-eng/2008-August/001627.html
>
> ¹ There is a possibility that this process could change slightly as
>   currently PackageKit does not handle updating the new key properly.

Obviously, if you caught my other recent post on ISOs, the step 10 in
that plan is the one I would like to include a respin ISO of everything,
current as of the release of the new key, for ease of upgrade and
install. However, what is proposed in the document is certainly
workable, although some of the mirrors may wish for superconducting wire
to handle the load when everyone upgrades.

If I might offer a further thought, if there are security updates in the
queue, it might be desirable to release them and wait a day until people
get the important stuff installed,

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>