grandma-rated mail reader

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 8 21:44:54 UTC 2008

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> writes:
>> Give thunderbird a try.  It looks/works pretty much the same across
>> linux/windows/mac and is all pretty obvious.
>
> Thanks, I'll have a look at it.
>
> At first glance it still seems to have more bells and whistles than
> she would be comfortable with.  It seems that all those buttons and
> underlined things are simply confusing for her, and the fewer options
> that are presented the better.

If she would be happy with text only, I would say pine (now
re-re-labeled as "alpine"). I suspect that the people with whom she most
wants to exchange mail are not limited to text, so that's likely to be a
solution.

You might look at the mail component of seamonkey. Mail isn't really
simple these days, and hopefully she isn't going to have problems with UCE.

alpine and seamonkey have packages.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>