latest bind is screwed (was Re: New key: updating yum/yum-utils depsolving problem)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200809 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 23:25:06 UTC 2008

"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> writes:
> Any ideas?  I've disabled yum-kmdl, and I'm updating piecemeal in the
> meantime.  I'll post back when I find the culprit.  SO far, bind,
> bind-utils, bind-libs, fakeroot, galculator, glabels, glabels-doc, and
> glabels-libs have updated OK by themselves....

Be careful with "bind".  This version has an internal inconsistency
where it expects to allow 1024 files to be open, but a compiled in
constant in another section of the code limits it to 128 files.  The
upshot is bind fails to start properly and everything quickly goes to
hell in a hand basket as name resolution grinds to a halt.  The
subsequent boot will hang whenever it tries to resolve anything.

The workaround is to add "files 1024;" to the options section in
named.conf.  (I can't believe bind really thinks it needs 1024 files
open at one point.  This is so far over the top it is insane.)

.../etc/named.conf:

options {
	// Sep 10 04:24:18 arbol named[20283]: the 'files' limit (128)
	// is less than FD_SETSIZE (1024), increase 'files' in
	// named.conf or recompile with a smaller FD_SETSIZE.
	//
	files 1024;     // needed on BIND 9.5.0-P2 -u named -wsr 2008-09-10
};

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.