What is gvfs-fuse-daemon?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Sep 12 16:16:36 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> For the first time I noticed that there is a file system on my disk
> called gvfs-fuse-daemon. It seems to exist concurrently with
> my /dev/sda3 partition in the same disk space. What is this and what is
> its significance?

I am not sure, but judging by the name, it sounds like the Gnome
Virtual File System daemon using fuse for mounting. One use for me
is an encrypted directory - it mounts a file in my home directory on
a mount point in my home directory. As long as I provide the proper
pass phrase, it gets mounted, with encryption/decryption handled for me.

I am not sure, but it might also be used for opening up things like
zip files, tar archives, etc. It may also handle mounting
Windows/Samba shares for the user, instead of system mounts.

This should give you enough to look into it deeper if you are
interested.

Mikkel