Grub hangs after today's updates

Boris Glawe public at boris-glawe.de
Fri Sep 12 21:16:46 UTC 2008

Oliver Ruebenacker schrieb:
>      Dear friends,
>
>   A few minutes ago, I had a few automatic updates (including Kernel
> updates) for my Fedora 9, then rebooted and now I can't boot upagain.
> After BIOS, I see a black screen with only "GRUB" written on it, and
> nothing else happens.
>
>   What to do?
>
>      Take care
>      Oliver

Find out, what you root partition is and from what device you're booting
from.

Assuming, that you do not use dual booting and have only fedora on your
machine and assuming, that you're booting from the device /dev/sda here
are the instructions:

Download a rescue boot image and burn it on a cd. Download from this
mirror for example:

http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/Linux/fedora/linux/releases/9/Fedora/i386/os/images/boot.iso

Boot from that cd and choose "rescue system" at the boot prompt.

It's very likely, that the rescue routine will mount your system on the
directory /mnt/sysimage.

As instructed by the user interface run this command:
chroot /mnt/sysimage

 From the point on you work in the same environment/os installation as
you normally boot directly.

Run this command:
grub-install /dev/sda

Type "exit"

then type
reboot

remove the cd from your drive and you will possibly be able to boot from
hard disk again.

greets Boris