VMware fails to build with the new kernel

Maurizio Marini maumar at datalogica.com
Sat Sep 13 10:11:55 UTC 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:

> >> So I was wrong then with my assumption.
> >>
> >> In this case, the latest vmware-any-any-update may help
> >> (vmware-any-any-update117d.tar.gz from
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vmkernelnewbies/files ?)
> >>
> >> Good luck & best Regards,
> >>
> >> Arnold
> >
> > I have that installed. The issue is that vmware-config.pl worked under
> > the prior kernel and failed today.  Something must have changed in the
> > kernel headers that breaks vmware's compile.
>
> For german speaking fedora users:
> http://www.fedorawiki.de/index.php/VMware_Server (no patch, but a
> modified  vmware-any-any-update117:
> http://www.it-psycho.de/downloads/vmware-any-any-update117-itpsycho.tar.bz2
>)

http://groups.google.com/group/vmkernelnewbies/browse_thread/thread/a440c0e70351af6b

"i fixed this by modifying the version value in vmmon-only/include/
iocontrols.h from 168 to 138."

but sadly i have 138 there, not 168 :( :( :(
/*
 * Driver version.
 *
 * Increment major version when you make an incompatible change.
 * Compatibility goes both ways (old driver with new executable
 * as well as new driver with old executable).
 *
 * Note: Vmcore compatibility is different from driver versioning.
 * For vmcore puposes, the bora tree is conceptually split in two:
 * vmcore, and rest-of-bora. The vmmon driver is largely outside
 * vmcore and vmcore imports functionality from vmmon. Addition,
 * deletion or modification of an iocontrol used only by rest-of-bora
 * does not break vmcore compatibility.
 *
 * See bora/doc/vmcore details.
 *
 */

#define VMMON_VERSION           (138 << 16 | 0)
#define VMMON_VERSION_MAJOR(v)  ((uint32) (v) >> 16)
#define VMMON_VERSION_MINOR(v)  ((uint16) (v))

so i have not to change 168 in 138, so, why the hell it complains??
Sep 13 12:00:05: app| Msg_Post: Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting
138.0, got 168.0.

m.