latest upgrade procedure

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 14 07:37:24 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> No...  Think if it's appropriate, first.  Then answer yes if it is.
>> Do not blindly answer yes to any question.

Paul Newell:
> I think within the context of the problem Fedora has had, one should
> assume that if, during update, it asks you to accept a new key, the
> advice of "accept" is correct. The info about what is being accepted
> is there, so it isn't a blind ask.

Considering the reason behind *this* activity (potential security), I
think it's highly inappropriate to condition newbies into just saying
yes.  But I see that sort of advice all the time(*).  They may have more
the original repos, too.

If one's going to say, "answer yes" to something, some should give much
more information about what you should expect to say yes to (e.g. names
of the keys, in this circumstance).  Not just *some* keys.

* Some commonly seen simplistic bad advice:
   yum clean all
   yum -y update
   rm'ing the RPM database

Potentially destructive advice *needs* to give adequate information, and
warnings.  And brute force solutions shouldn't be offered as the first
action.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686