[FWW] method for minimum install

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Sep 14 17:10:36 UTC 2008

Joel Rees wrote:
> Not sure if I'm asking a question or trying to start a flame war here,
> but, about four hours ago, I was getting a net install (PPC) of Fedora 9
> going and needed to go to the store for the wife, so I thought I'd be
> sensible for a change and not install the kitchen sink, and wait until
> the base system was running before I started messing with the package
> manager.
>
> So I de-selected desktop, developer's, and server general sets from the
> quick selection screen in the install, left it to customize after the
> install, hit the start button, and went to the store. When I got back,
> it was installing 889 packages.
>
> Is 889 packages a minimal install?

Unfortunately for some reason the "minimal install" feature is missing. It would
be really desirable to have such a button, rather than having users try to get
rid of the crap which is not needed to create a bootable system.

Even by hand it's hard to get something usable, which is a shame. There's no
reason why people should be playing with Puppy and DSL to get something which
could be provided via an install option.

The other side of this is that demand is small, because of Puppy and DSL. At one
time I believe the FedoraUnity provided a minimal spin, I haven't looked at that
in a while.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>