LAN question

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 05:05:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Paul Newell <pnewell at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Fedora:
>
> Before I switched to F9, all my FC5 machines were happily chatting with each
> other through a Linksys WRT54GL but none of them could see the net. I
> upgraded one of them to F9 and it sees the net and can ssh to the others.
> But the other two machines can no longer ssh into it F9 system. I tried to
> play with things to fix it, but the best I could do was kill the network
> connection so that the F9 system can't see the other machine or the net. In
> other words, I screwed up. Since I can't figure out how to get the network
> back alive by restoring prior conditions, I am resigned to yet another
> re-install (the price of learning is lots of starting over...)

For lack of time, I am abandoning the remaining information that you
provided, sorry.

Here is my suggestion...

If you have GUI on that F9 box, install one of the many GUI firewall
editing tools like firestarter, and use it to enable port forwarding,
and likely network translation -- this assumes that the F9 box uses a
different interface and IP to get to the internet than the one it uses
to connect to the rest of the LAN, generally speaking you need two
network cards for that.

If you do not have GUI on that box, you'll have to read up on IPTABLES
so you can set up the above manually.

Have each of the other machines use than F9 box as their network gateway.

This is a typical, relatively easy setup which should allow all the
machines to have basic access to the internet and to each other.

If this F9 machines happens to be a server, you may want to consider
using Centos 5.2 on it instead.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )