Arranging icons on desktop

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 15 09:44:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 03:47 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> People keep saing this but I don't understand it. This "highjacking"
> did not mess up my message threading, Why would the mess up happen?

Most likely because you're not using "threading," you're probably
sorting your message in order of subject and/or date.

Open the headers for a message, and look at the in-reply-to and
references headers.  The in-reply-to header lists the message id of the
message that it's in-reply-to.  That ties those two messages together.
The references header includes a list of message ids of all messages in
the same thread.  Those two headers are used to tie messages together,
and the subject has no part of it, the subject can change for each
message, and the thread is still a thread of messages (though such a
change is bad practice for people to follow).

Sorting by subject and date is a poor substitute for doing things
properly.  If you sort by subject, and someone changes a subject within
a continuing thread, your messages get separated from each other.

Want more info?  Ask...  Start a *NEW* thread, though...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.