VMWare bridged networking and wireless

John Haxby jch at thehaxbys.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 14:07:59 UTC 2008

Claude Jones wrote:
> I'm working on a laptop configuration of vmware-server;
> I try to only connect wirelessly with this machine so I'm trying to get
> bridged networking through the wireless adapter when using vmware-server;
> The wireless adapter works flawlessly and is being managed with network
> manager, which is working well;

Bridging and wireless don't mix.   There might be some chipsets that do
wireless bridging but I've never seen one.  As I understand it the
problem is that a wireless NIC can't be put into promiscuous mode and so
can't be used as a bridge.   This is a problem that has bitten various
Xen users at various times -- you might find more on their mailing lists.

jch