VMWare bridged networking and wireless

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:15:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 09:31 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> I'm working on a laptop configuration of vmware-server;
> I try to only connect wirelessly with this machine so I'm trying to get
> bridged networking through the wireless adapter when using vmware-server;
> The wireless adapter works flawlessly and is being managed with network
> manager, which is working well;
> This is a fairly fresh F9 with all the latest patches including the ones from
> the newkey repos.
> When I bring up an XP vm, I get a failure to detect the sound device and once
> up, a failure to connect to the network:
>
> I've tried bridging both my wired and wireless adapters and selecting the
> wireless as the preferred device; I've tried only bridging the wireless
> adapter; I've compared my settings to a working setup on my desktop, and they
> seem to be the same. I do not have any other type of networking configured on
> this vmware configuration (no nat or host)...
>
> What could I be missing? I'm not getting any selinux warnings. Each time I
> bring up the vm, I just wind up with a 169.xxx address...
> --
> Claude Jones
> Leesburg, VA

I cant really comment about the sound issue (I had no such problems),
but I couldn't use bridged networking over a wireless device.
While the device did manage to switch into promiscuous mode, nothing
else really worked.

... a short search in google seemed to suggest that wireless devices are
not supported by vmware server 1.0.x.

I'd suggest you use NAT networking instead.

- Gilboa