FC5 => F8 upgrade : advice?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 15 20:40:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 19:25 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> 	I've come into possession of an otherwise nice machine (so I'm
> told; I don't speak hardware) that still has Fedora Core 5 installed. I
> want to upgrade it to F8 now, and F10 once that's released.
>
> 	Is there a best way to go about it, short of a fresh install of
> F8? It has a lot of data, as well as a lot of configuration, that I'd
> hate to lose.
>
> 	Any gotchas to watch out for?
>
> 	If, say, I upgrade first to F7 (because I know where my DVD for
> that is), and then to F8 -- do I want to update F7 as best I can in
> between? Or just go straight to F8?
>
> -
I would do a fresh install od F8 or even better F9 after you:
1, backup ups all datte to a CD, a DVD or a spare disk.
2. Also back up /etc for configuration information.

Then copy the data from the backup to the fresh install.
memo, n.: An interoffice communication too often written more for the
benefit of the person who sends it than the person who receives it.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net