Canon Pixima MP 830 and Fedora 9

Don Bower don_bower at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 04:52:26 UTC 2008

I have this great printer, connected to my other PC, a Windows XP
Professional instance. The printer is shared, and I can print from other
XP and Vista PCs on my home network just fine.

However I cannot print from my Linux.

Fedora
Release 9 (Sulphur)
Kernel Linux 2.6.26.3-29.fc9.i686
GNOME 2.22.3

I have set up my printer to use samba at this address:
smb://192.168.2.102/canonmp8
using a Canon BJC-8200 Foomatic/bjipa06n.upp [en] (recommended) driver.

When I print a test page, I get the following error:
        (!) A paper size that cannot be fed from the cassette was
        selected
        Stop printing. Then change the Paper Source setting on the Main
        tab of the printer driver to Auto Sheet Feeder, load the
        appropriate paper to the sheet feeder, then print again.

        Job: Remote Downlevel Document
        	[Cancel Printing]

The Canon MP830 printer does have a cassette in which I can load about
150 sheets, up to 8.5x11.  It also has a Auto Sheet Feeder, which can
load slighly wider paper, and can be as long as I like, however, I
usualy only load 4x6, 5x7 and 8.5x11 photo paper in that slot, as it can
only hold a few sheets.  Which paper source is used is determined by the
driver.  You can choose Cassette, Auto Sheet Feeder or "Selection
Switch".  The last option defers control to the hardware switch located
on the front panel of the printer.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.