Does Thundergird Crash when to many Emalis in Inbox ??

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 17 03:47:05 UTC 2008

Robin Laing wrote
> Jim wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> Does he have problems with any other programs crashing?
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>
>> No, just thunderbird. what I mean by crash is the emails come but
>> there screwed up, email comes one person. and has body of email from
>> another person.
>>

> I have seen this at work.  The only people that this happens with all
> use Outlook and Exchange server.  One person it happens with with
> almost every email.  I have seen this same problem more times in
> Evolution than in TB.
>
> I normally have over 2000 messages in lists that I don't keep a close
> eye on that I need to follow from time to time.  I cannot remember the
> last time that TB crashed.  My ImageMagick list is presently at 3438
> messages.  I guess I had better get reading.  :)
>

> Try running
>   File > Compact Folders.
>
> This will clean up index files.  It needs to be run form time to time.

I don't know about Thunderbird, but I do know for certain that in
SeaMonkey (32-bit at least) whenever the
*size* of any mailbox exceeds 2GB (2*1024*1024*1024 bytes), strange
things happen to the index.  The safest
fix (assuming Inbox is the affected folder)is:
1. Take the system off-line so that nothing else is stuffed into the Inbox
2. If possible, copy both Inbox and Inbox.msf to some safe place temporarily
3. Position the cursor on the Account heading
4. File -->new -->folder  to create a new folder under that account
5. Select a few months worth of oldest messages in the Inbox
6. File (or move) the selected messages to the newly created folder
7. The index files will be adjusted as the move takes place (several
minutes)
headers and bodies match up
9. Remove the temporary files (2 above) and get on with your life.