metacity behavior plugins ?

lostson lostson at lostsonsvault.org
Fri Sep 19 00:25:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 13:30 -0400, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:18:25 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > lostson wrote:
> > > Thanks Rahul for the info that is the one thing I would like in
> > > Metacity is a remember window position. Maybe someday.
> >
> > If it doesn't do what you want. go to http://bugzilla.gnome.org and file
> > bug reports.
>
> I'm happy to entertain suggestions as to how to remember window
> positions.  People do occasionally ask for Metacity to make the same
> window appear in the same place it did last session, but then they never
> seem to follow up with an explanation as to what "the same" means.  This
> isn't a facetious question: there is simply no good way to do this in an
> automated way at present.
>
> Clearly all windows opened by the same application aren't "the same"
> window, and presumably we can't use the titlebar text either, because
> you might start with a different document open in OpenOffice and still
> want it to be counted as "the same" window.  We might use the resource
> name and class, and the role, which are provided in X for doing this
> sort of thing.  But in practice they'd be fairly useless because none of
> the applications use them much.
>
> Devil's Pie was written precisely to fill this gap, and it requires you
> to specify the details of each window by hand.
>
> (And on top of it all, I like the idea of a lightweight window manager,
> and if we can offload some of the work onto Devil's Pie, so folk who
> want it get it, and folk who don't get a bit more memory, then that
> sounds like a good plan to me.)
>
> But if you have ideas about this or anything else, I would like to hear
> them.

> --
> Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman
> little bird

 Ok let me expand a little about what I was thinking. I am really not
concerned with other window like say evolution's extra window that pops
up showing you its downloading your email. I am mostly concerned with
just the main window. For instance when i start Xchat it always starts
in the upper left corner where I want it to be. I don't know the reason
it does but it does. When say for instance I have xchat open on my
desktop and that is it and I run evolution it appears in the top left
corner exactly where xchat is covering it up. Why would metacity place
it there ? There is already a application residing there. The way I
would implement this is in right click in the titlebar with a remember
window position much like Fluxbox or KDE has. Then everytime you start
the app it appears right where you saved it at. Now however when my
desktop is empty and i start evolution it opens dead center of my
screen, but i usually keep it low to the lower gnome bar and to the
right when working with it.

 Much like things that go to the system tray when you bring them back
they go to the place they were and not wherever they wish to go. I am no
coder god so i would have no idea how to implement this but that is my
2cents, thanks.
--
LostSon

http://lostsonsvault.org