ath5k won't connect -- sometimes

Patrick O'Callaghan poc at usb.ve
Fri Sep 19 14:30:50 UTC 2008

Yesterday I ran a Live CD of F9 (i386 KDE version) on a Toshiba laptop.
I found it could see my Wifi network but somewhat erratically, i.e. the
connection would bounce up and down every few minutes. The access point
is about 6 feet away so it's not a signal issue (and my phone connects
with no problem so the AP is OK as well).

I then went ahead and installed F9 on the hard disk, plugged in an
Ethernet cable and updated everything via yum. Now the Wifi doesn't work
at all. I even installed the latest NetworkManager from
updates-testing-newkey but no joy, even after rebooting.

All I can see in dmesg is a few lines saying:

        ath5k_pci 0000:04:00.0: registered as 'phy0'
        ath5k: pky0: Atheros AR2424 chip found (MAC: 0xaO, PHY: 0x61)
        ath5k: pky0: noise floor calibration timeout (2422MHz)
        ath5k: pky0: noise floor calibration timeout (2437MHz)

As regards ifconfig, there are a couple of new interfaces: wlan0 and
wmaster0, both marked as UP but with no IP addresses.

wpa_supplicant is running, dhclient is not.

The physical Wifi switch is on and the light is lit.

"iwlist wlan0 scanning" gives no results.

Any thoughts?

poc