desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Sep 21 16:26:10 UTC 2008

Quoting Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net>:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:22:28 +0100
> Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> If you get wrong data from EDID information then
>> - File a bug
>> - Specify HorizSync and VertRefresh
>> - On most drivers Option "DDC" "false"
>>
>> That way you can get it working but someone can also figure out if the
>> monitor data is wrong, there is a bug in handling the modes or some kind
>> of blacklist entry is needed so it just works in future.
>
> Yea, option like that were what I used to beat the server into
> submission in older versions of X, but now, it utterly ignores
> anything you tell it. You can't disable DDC, you can't disable
> EDID, you can't specify a mode line. For like 25 years X refused
> utterly to do anything useful with EDID, then in the blink of an
> eye, they completely reversed things and now refuse to listen to
> anything you might want to tell it that could fix a problem while
> you are waiting for the developers to acknowledge a bug, fix it, and
> get it into the distributed release.

eggzackly.  just to recap, i'm trying to drive a WUXGA signal into an
external video device that is, *theoretically*, supposed to be able to
handle it.  sadly, it appears that that video device has bad EDID info
that it passes back to my laptop that causes the laptop to drop its
display res from 1920x1200 to 1152x864, which kind of messes up the
test.

in the long term, yes, we will eventually figure out what EDID info
the video device should have but, in the short term, as tom appreciates,
i just want my F9 system to ignore/ignore/ignore whatever is coming
back in terms of EDID.  and, thus far, i have been utterly unable to
do so.

rday