Fedora 10 kernel source.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 23:54:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 16:58 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
> Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > I need to view the kernel source of fedora 10. Is there a way to do that?
> >

> Same as always: (works for all recent Fedora/RH/Centos/Oracle based distros)
>
> # = root or sudo
> $ = you
>
> 1. # yum install yumutils rpmdevtools (you may also need sparse, and others)
> 1.a $ /usr/bin/rpmdev-setuptree
> 2. # yumdownloader --source kernel
> 3. $ rpm -ihv kernel-<whatever was just downloaded>.rpm
> 4. $ cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
> 5. $ rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec (additional dependencies, if any, will be
> listed here)
> 6. $ cd ../BUILD/kernel-2.6.??
>
> There you are!
>
> Good Luck!

First, you don't need to be -- and probably *shouldn't* be -- root when
you do anything other than run yum or other admin utilities.  Also, keep
in mind that if you're not *running* Rawhide, to get the latest kernel
you need to enable that repo.  Might I suggest these alternate steps?

$ su -c 'yum install yum-utils rpmdevtools'
$ rpmdev-setuptree
$ yumdownloader --enablerepo=rawhide --source kernel
$ rpm -ivh kernel-<blah>.src.rpm
$ su -c 'yum-builddep kernel-<blah>.src.rpm'
$ rpmbuild -bp ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel.spec
$ cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-*

--
Paul W. Frields